Lebanese Freekeh with Lentils & Onions
This healthy and nutritious side dish offers a ton of flavor and is packed with plant protein. Freekeh is an ancient grain that’s high in both protein and fiber. It’s hearty texture and nutty flavor pairs well with the red lentils in this vegetarian side dish.
- Spread lentils on a clean work surface to find and remove any debris.
- Place lentils in a large strainer and rinse with cold water.
- In a large pot, place almond oil over medium heat. Add onion and salt, and reduce heat to medium low. Cook, stirring occasionally 5 to10 minutes, until onions have softened. Remove 1/3 of the onions from the pot and set aside.
- Add water, freekeh, lentils, and spices to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover and place on medium-low heat.
- Cook 35 to 40 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Top with toasted almonds and reserved onions and serve warm, with Greek yogurt.