These vegan, gluten-free macaroons are chewy and moist with a rich, chocolate flavor. Adapted from the Chicago Tribune “Good Eating” section, March 20, 2013.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place shredded coconut in sauté pan on medium low heat. Toss the shredded coconut for 2 minutes or until the coconut has toasted.
- In a bowl pour coconut oil, maple syrup, almond extract, toasted coconut, cocoa powder, almond flour, and salt.
- Stir until well combined.
- Using 2 tablespoon mixture per cookie, shape into mounds, packing mixture firmly.
- Distribute cookies onto a parchment-covered baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between them. Do not press down.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes and then transfer cookies to a cooling rack.
- When cool, dust with a little confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Serving Size: 1 Macaroon (44 g)